I’ve had a couple of people ask me what websites I use to find flight deals, here are a few of my personal favorites, in no particular order.
In addition to these sites here are some general tips:
- Glitch fares do not last long, the last flight I booked was gone within 2 hours of being posted. If you find an amazing deal don’t wait for your friends to be down just book first and let them try to match up with your plans. Worst case you are stuck taking a solo trip, My first solo trip sparked my love for travel so there are worse things in life.
- Some airlines have options for reserving a flight, Qatar has a 24 hour booking hold, so you can reserve and then book or cancel later.
- Sign up for alerts on these sites so you can get summaries of available deals.
- Follow their social media accounts, they post deals more frequently.
- Check the websites frequently, I usually do this if I am looking for specific deals to a destination or if I’m looking for a new place to visit. I check at least one of these sites daily, it can be addictive so you decide what’s best for you.
- A lot of flight deals don’t originate from my city but I’v found that the deals are sometimes so good that even if I have to fly to another city (NYC, Boston, Chicago, I can do so using a budget carrier like Southwest, Frontier or even Spirit) I only end up sending a little more. For example my flight to Iceland last year was out of Boston, I used my Southwest points to buy my flight to Boston and didn’t have to pay anything extra.
- As with all glitch fares there is a possibility the airlines won’t honor it so before you go make any additional plans, wait to receive your booking confirmation. I usually go to the airlines website after this to make sure I can pull up my itinerary using said booking confirmation.
- Sometimes the glitch fare positing won’t include your city in the deal, but it doesn’t hurt to try it out to see if they missed it and your city is available for the option. I booked a flight to Johannesburg using one of the website, they listed Dallas as a city the deal worked for, I tried Houston anyway, and my ticket was only $20 more than if I flew out of Dallas. It doesn’t hurt to check your city.
- Don’t stress out if you miss out on a flight deal, sure it sucks but there will be many more deals