I kicked off my month long Europe tour with Spain. My flight on TAP Portugal resulted in a 15 hour layover in Lisbon Portugal. I decided to make the most of the layover by exploring the city. Adventurous and eager to explore, I turned my 15 hour layover into a fun and exciting day trip. This day trip will leave you exhausted but you will absolutely enjoy exploring Lisbon.
Destination: Lisbon Portugal
Language: Portuguese but English is widely spoken
There is a daily pass which cost 6.50 Euros (about $7), and allows 24 hour access to metro bus and tram. I had to buy another pass for the regional train (6.50 Euros) to Belem since it was not included in the daily city pass I got. There were cheaper options but I did not want to risk getting stranded. There are free maps at the airport that show local attractions, and I used google trips to figure out what locations I wanted to visit.
Places I visited:
- Belem Tower: A UNESCO world heritage site significant for its role in the Portuguese maritime discoveries. It was also part of a defense system at the mouth of the Tagus River. You can do a tour of the tower but the lines were long and I did not want to spend my day standing in line, so i skipped the tour.
- Berarado Collection Museum (Museum of Modern and Contemporary art): Luckily for me the day I visited was International Museum day, so entry was free.
- Jeronimos Monastery: World Heritage listed Gothic Monastrey
- Padrao dos Descobrimentos: A monument to celebrate the Portuguese age of discovery in the 15th and 16th century.
- Lisbon Cathedral: This is the oldest church in the city
- Castelo de S. Jorge: A hilltop Moorish castle overlooking historic centre of Lisbon city and the Tagus River
- Rossio Square
Overall I had a great time in Lisbon and I plan to go back to Portugal to visit other parts of the country. Enjoy the beautiful pictures.